Thursday, February 24, 2011

Best Popcorn Recipe EVER

First of it's been forever since I blogged.  Life's been getting in the way and school (my last year of college!!!) is seriously kicking my ass.

Now... I have an amazing recipe most of you have probably already made in some way shape or form... what can I say?  I'm slow and stubborn sometimes.  

For those of you who for some reason have not tried making popcorn on the stove here are some pretty great reasons you should try it:
  1. IT"S CHEAP!!  Even if you buy organic kernels it only takes a tablespoon or two to make the equivalent of that microwavable crap.
  2. It's harder to burn!  It would seem like it would be way easier to burn popcorn on the stove but trust me, I have burned far too many bags either due to terrible microwaves or being a space case.
  3. There are fewer unpopped kernels.  I'm sure this is how it's supposed to work in the bags too but it actually works on the stove.  All the kernels fall to the bottom of the pan as you shake the pan while it's cooking.  
  4. You can control the flavor!  Want super buttery vegan popcorn and don't trust the "natural flavors" of bagged kind, you can Earth Balance til your heart's content.  My recipe here is for nacho-cheezey popcorn that I used as an excuse to get some extra B-12 into my diet :-)
  5. It's healthier.  You control the ingredients... no more congealed salt and oil coating your popcorn.  Instead use olive oil or Earth Balance and spice it up!
  6. It's faster to make large quantities.  I make homemade popcorn all the time for friends cause it's stupidly cheap, fast, delicious and is generally something everyone will like.

Yeah I don't really have any downsides except maybe the fact that I tried to make kettle corn and it's an experience I don't want to talk about.... I will say this much though, if you give it a chance wear protective gear.  REALLY.  You need to stir it constantly and the popcorn will go flying with molten sugar... it's not fun and you'll probably get burned.  That may have just been me failing miserably or following a bad recipe, but I'm not going to try it again.


Ok now to the part you're all waiting for - RECIPE!!
The first part is more of a method for cooking it while the second is a recipe.

POPCORN ON THE STOVE

Ingredients
Canola Oil
Popcorn
Toppings (see below)

Before getting started be sure to have a pot that has a lid that fits (this is my biggest problem!)

Start pan heating up on medium-high heat, and add enough canola oil to very lightly coat the bottom of the pan (add less than you think you need and try swirling it around - when the pan's hot you should be able to use less than you thing).

Add in enough popcorn to create a SINGLE layer of kernels on the bottom of the pan.  Note:  if you have a pan with a ginormous diameter and is fairly short - don't add as many kernels (you'll be dealing with overflow in a few minutes if you do).

Cover the pan and shake to coat all the kernels in oil and let it do it's thing!  I usually shake the pan every now and then.

Wait til the popping slows down and empty contents out into a serving bowl (do this fairly quickly as it will burn if you leave it in the pan for too long).

Add toppings and ENJOY!!!! :-D


NACHO CHEEZEY TOPPING
This couldn't be simpler.

I melt about 1.5 tbs of Earth Balance in the micro (use more or less depending on how you like it) and then add about 2tsp paprika, a tsp garlic powder and a good dash of salt to the butter and stir well.  Dump this mixture on the popcorn and stir to incorporate.  Throw on a heaving tablespoon of nutritional yeast and once again mix to incorporate.

For other flavors simply change up what you mix in with the Earth Balance.  This parsley garlic salt that my friends have ALWAYS goes over well, but curry or garam masala or chili powder would all be incredible too.  The options are endless!

Hope you guys give stovetop popcorn a chance!!!

2 comments:

KiwiJessie said...

I found this through Google, made it tonight, loved it. Thank you!

sharklegs said...

me too! i could not stop scarfing it down!