Thursday, November 11, 2010

Homemade Sriacha - Vegan MOFO Days 9 and 10

I know I know I didn't post last night... but I couldn't help it our internet is really finicky and I can't post from my phone! When I tried to write from the school's computers it wasn't letting me input pictures either :-(. Anyways here it is a little late!

For those of you who don't know what Sriacha or Rooster Sauce is, it's essentially a chile and garlic sauce. I'm not one for super spicy foods so I usually don't add too much of the stuff, however this homemade stuff is fantastic! My friends and I followed this recipe and it was really simple and turned out great! If you're a fan of the bottled stuff or like spicy things in general I'd strongly suggest this stuff!

It all starts with fresh chiles:
IMAG0228

Then they meld with the vinegar overnight:
IMAG0231

Then get cooked a little:
IMAG0233

AWESOME ACTION SHOT!!!
IMAG0235

After it's processed it's strained really well. We processed the pulp again to make sure all the juices got into the Sriacha, here's the leftover pulp.
IMAG0237

AND IT'S DONE!! And delicious too I might add. The color is AMAZING although you can't really tell from the pictures.
IMAG0243


One of my friends made a thoroughly kick ass label for it... I think we may use this for future condiment making adventures as well!
IMAG0251
(I don't know if you can read it but this Sriacha was born from the fires of hell just yesterday! :-) ).

In other not-as-exciting food news, I've been cooking up some fairly simple but still tasty food the past few days.

Tuesday was a stuffed squash kind of day.

IMAG0240

Simply an acorn squash roasted stuffed with portabellos, onions and quinoa.

Today was an even-less exciting bowl of quinoa topped with the makings of Fat Free Vegan's Kochu Chang Substitute. This recipe is what got me addicted to miso and is amazingly tasty on a plain old bowl of quinoa. I took a picture but as it turns out a dollup of red miso on a pile of rice doesn't look too appetizing so I left it out! :-)

Anyways... Long story short - everyone should learn how to make their own condiments!! More are coming soon!


3 comments:

Fanny said...

Awesome! What kind of chili is it? The regular red ones?

Candy Beans said...

I love Sriracha! I'm going to have to give this a try. Thanks for the recipe.

Catherine Weber said...

Great idea! My boyfriend loves sriracha; maybe we'll have to make him some sometime!