Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Going RAW!

So a few big changes around here, the number one being that I am focusing on going raw!! It's something I've always been fascinated with and am hoping it gives me a little extra energy to get through my last leg of college! I've been reading Crazy Sexy Diet by Kris Carr who funnily enough was the one who inspired me to make the switch from vegetarian to vegan. I'd strongly recommend the book as it's not only informative but supportive, not to mention a fun read!!

First, Logistics. I am not going 100% raw. I will still use both beans and whole grains (mainly quinoa). This makes my life a WHOLE lot easier and I strongly believe that both of those food groups are awesome for you. I'm mainly focusing on cutting out any and all processed foods, especially sugar and wheat and adding in lots more fresh fruits and veggies. Lately I've been in a kind of mental fog and I'm hoping cutting out the sugar will help eliminate that. I am also drinking store-bought green juice. If I were to get a juicer, I'd be looking for one that was able to handle leafy greens and I am pretty sure all those in my price range can't. I know it's not the best solution but I'm choosing only juices that are 100% juice (or puree) and contain no added sugar of any kind. My favorite of all time is Odwalla's superfood juice which I can't get enough of. It's really expensive around here though, so I've mainly been getting the Bolthouse green drink (I forget the name).


Second - What Have I Been Eating?
Well, this is only the third day of my raw excursion. I've been focusing on lots of raw greens, nuts and fruits. For example, today I've had a glass of juice and a grapefruit for breakfast, a cucumber with hummus for a snack, and an OMG SO GOOD IT WILL KNOCK YOUR SOCKS OFF massaged kale salad.

Confession: Kale is quite possibly my favorite food, but eating it raw always scared the shit out of me! I honestly don't know what I was scared off as it was way faster to make and really amazing!

Anyways it's only been three days but I am definitely feeling pretty good. It may be the diet and it may be spring poking its head out every now and then, but you won't find me complaining!

Oh another note about going to raw foods, if you're looking for a diet, there is NO hunger and NO guilt! Even with raw desserts, I've found them to be significantly more filling than processed or cooked ones and they're chock-ful of great nutrients too!


Sorry for the super rambling post! I'm also spastic and couldn't wait to eat the salad so there isn't a picture of it :-( I'm sure I'll be making lots of it in the future though so you'll probably see one soon. Just take my word for it - it's really pretty!

Raw Kale Salad

2 cups raw kale - cut to your desired preference (I am a wimp so mine was really really small)
1/2 lemon
1 smallish avocado (mine had a bad spot so it was probably more like 3/4)
1 scallion
1 handful sprouts
Pinch of pink sea salt
Garlic powder
Tinyest splash of olive oil

To start I put the chopped kale in a bowl and then added the juice of 1/2 a lemon. Then I got to work! I massaged it for probably five minutes, but go for as long or as short as you'd like. Then I added the avocado and massaged that in fairly well. Add everything else and you're good to go!

This makes a good size salad for one person and left me feeling completely full and satisfied!

No comments: