Sunday, November 7, 2010

Best Kitchen "Gadget" EVER - Vegan MOFO Day 7

I need to clear the air... if there is a useless kitchen gadget or some ridiculous product that can only complete one task I will probably decide that I have a need for it. However, about five years ago my mom got a gift certificate from William Sonoma. We don't have a lot of fancy kitchen stuff so it was kind of a big deal for us. So much of a big deal that we couldn't figure out what to buy, and there aren't any Sonoma stores near us and we'd always forget the certificate anytime we were near one. Cut to FIVE years later when I saw a friend's ridiculous looking pan and realized that it could be purchased for the exact amount of our gift certificate. Also, William Sonoma was AWESOME about honoring such an old gift certificate, I know there are certain laws requiring companies to be better, but five years is a pretty long time and they didn't give us any trouble whatsoever!

IMAG0208

I assumed it was for some method of cooking eggs, but eventually found out that it was an Ebelskiver Pan. Ebelskivers are essentially filled pancakes and might seem complicated but are actually REALLY easy to make! I even use the pan for non-stuffed muffins, which are amazing because the edge of the Ebelskiver gets super crispy while the inside is light and fluffy! A how-to video can be found here if you're curious!

Ebelskivers are also decadent while having the same nutritional value as pancakes, and for me they're way healthier because I don't add butter or syrup to them!

My favorite way to make Ebelskivers is to just use the Perfect Pancake recipe from Vegan Brunch, but you can use your favorite pancake recipe, it's pretty flexible. This morning we stuffed our Ebelskivers with raspberries and chocolate chips!

IMAG0205
To make things easier I stuff a chocolate chip into each raspberry!


IMAG0207
Cooking Ebelskivers look like UFOs!

IMAG0201
For some reason they look eerily like eggs, but I assure you they're not!

IMAG0204
OM NOM NOM!



Disclaimer - I was not paid to do an endorsement, just love the product!

1 comment:

vegan.in.brighton said...

I need that pan! I also have to have every riidiculous kitchen gadget I lay my eyes upon. I've wanted a brunch warmer (like a canteen style hot plate) for years & my husband says we can get it as soon as I can find somewhere to keep it - sadly with our cupboards full of my waffle maker, electric fondue set, mini deep fryer etc I can't seem to find any room for it!