Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Quick and Easy!

So, I've practically given up on finding good vegan options in our Campus Center food court. Last year there were a few days where I'd discover the salad bar chock full of stuffed grape leaves, hummus, pitas, and tabbouleh, while other days there'd be barbecue tofu and broccoli as an entrée. Imagine my surprise this year to be greeted with a "Chef's Salad" filled salad bar with practically no vegetarian options... it was a salad bar filled solely with pre-mixed salads filled with cheese and meat. Then they decided to shrink the salad bar to half its original size, taking out the fruit section :-(. NOT COOL. But hey a girl's got to eat, and they had a burrito bar today and had TEMPEH as a filling option!!!!!!!!! While the burrito itself wasn't fabulous, I am genuinely impressed with my school's catering company for putting forth a great effort and hope they continue to do so in the future!

For dinner I played the "I don't want to go shopping so let's see what I can make out of random things in the pantry" game. Fun times :-). Anyways I ended up choosing one of my favorite quick and easy standbys that can be made with things I usually have on hand. It's Susan from the Fat Free Vegan's Ridiculously Easy Chick Pea Curry!! Fat Free Vegan is another blog I'm hopelessly addicted to and have had great results with every recipe of hers that I've tried. Today I doubled the amount of chickpeas, tossed in some cannellini beans, added way more curry powder than was called for and subbed basmati rice for quinoa (because I'm out :-( ). The result, as always with Susan's recipes is a deliciously healthy meal. I usually like to serve it over sauteed kale, but once again I really need to go food shopping!

IMAG0153



To summarize:
Cost: about $5
Servings: about 5 generous
Special Ingredients: Curry Powder (but you should have some on hand!)
Rating: 10/10!!!!





No comments: