Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Lunch, Dinner and HOMEMADE SRIACHA!!! Vegan MOFO Day 8

Well it's officially been over a week of Vegan MOFO and I'm still going strong!! Ok cooking-wise today was a little boring and I apologize! Even after going home for a mere 24 hours, my schedule's all out of whack... that might be daylight savings time too, who knows. All I know is that I miss my kitchen terribly (as well as my mom and puppy but let's be real you're all here to hear about the FOOD!).

Anyways today's lunch started out with a new product from my hometown grocery store!! Well when I say "new" I mean it's really an ancient grain that's recently been re-discovered.

Behold Farro!
IMAG0211
I'm not sure if you've had the chance to try this delightful grain, but it's amazing. While the instructions were a downright lie (1 part grain to 3 parts water!!!) it cooked in about 15 minutes to the perfect level of doneness. It has a great texture, like al-dente pasta with a slightly nutty flavor (think sunflower seeds type of nutty). It's also chock-full of protein!
IMAG0215

I needed something to go with my delicious farro so I cooked up some spiced squash and onions. I basically just sauted half an onion along with half an acorn squash and a ton of paprika and cumin!
IMAG0216

While it was good it was missing a little something... zing you may say. After trying to figure out what could make this even more tasty, I discovered the guac I had sitting in the fridge... PERFECTION!

IMAG0219


After lunch I met my fabulous little cousin (who's essentially my baby sister) for delicious coffee and I had this soy-"White Hot Love" specialty drink which had mocha, carmel, and hazelnut flavored deliciousness! I forgot to take a picture before I dug in... I'll have to post more when it's the barista who makes foam jack-o-lanterns!! This one isn't as exciting.

IMAG0221


For dinner I wanted something quick so I threw together some garlic, oyster mushrooms and kale drizzled it with sesame oil and added some paprika and miso.

IMAG0229
It doesn't look like much but man did this hit the spot!

On the subject of miso, I found this great brand that's local for me and has all sorts of really interesting types of miso. My favorite, South River Miso's Adzuki Bean Miso, just so happens to be soy-free and chock full of beans and grains! It's not a smooth miso so I'm not sure how it would do in a soup form, but if you see this stuff on the shelves give it a try!
IMAG0230


Now for the part of this post I'm sure you're all looking for... Homemade Sriacha!

We're following this recipe, and I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow! The chiles need to sleep overnight before we can go on, but it smells delicious right now! I'm not big on spicy foods but this is pretty exciting.

Chopping the main chiles... I don't remember what they're called but they're the long skinny red ones.
IMAG0228

We also added a few habeneros for an added kick!
IMAG0226

Shhh the peppers are sleeping until tomorrow! :-D

IMAG0231

No comments: